In 2008 Gary ran as an independent candidate in the federal election against an incumbent PC cabinet minister (Diane Finley) and a high-profile doctor with the Order of Canada (Dr. Eric Hoskins).
Overall, Gary received 10% of the total vote as an independent candidate – a result that has astonished experienced political insiders.
39% of Caledonia voters chose Gary McHale
Caledonia voters overwhelmingly chose Gary where he came first in nearly every poll, winning 1822 votes out of a possible 4,679 – 39% of all ballots cast.
- Gary captures 10% of Haldimand-Norfolk votes
- Dunnville Chronicle: Independent MP could play ‘very important’ role
- Hamilton Spectator: McHale – winner; Hoskins – loser; Finley – chicken
- McHale big winner at Caledonia debate
- Gary’s official 2008 federal election campaign website
Gary’s ‘Dare to Believe’ ad – giving hope to residents [PDF]